Thursday, February 11, 2010

Leftover Special: Quick and Easy Spinach Toast

Am I busy? Does Popeye have freakishly large forearms? No matter how crazy my schedule gets these days as I approach the deadline for all this cookbook production, if I don’t have at least something to post for you, I start to sweat and shake like one of those starlets on Celebrity Rehab (I don't watch it, but I hear things).

So with that in mind, I decided to film this short, but oh so delicious, video recipe for a spinach toast – the sort of simple vegetable tartine I should really be eating for lunch more often.

As I say in the clip, the true measure of a cook's chops (not those kind, the other chops) is what do they do with the leftovers. Anyone can make food taste good the first time, but then what? This spinach toast was so good, I'm thinking I'll make another batch of creamed spinach just so I can use it for this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In smaller portions, this would make a great appetizer.

Anonymous said...

Try this recipe my son in Madrid made for a dinner party. It was a big hit. Frozen spinach defrosted & squeeze out liquid. Steam cauliflower florets in butter until tender. Make a bechamel sauce and fold in the spinach w/cauliflower breaking the cauliflower up if florets are too big. Butter a baking dish and pour in mixture, grate some cheese on top and bake until bubbly and slightly brown on top. 350-375 degrees Of course the amount of spinach etc. depends on how many people you are serving. Hope you try it.

Czech-chick said...

Great recipe-For garlic lovers-try rubbing a clove of garlic on the top facing toasted side of the toast before you put the creamed spinach on top. You will need about one medium sized clove of garlic for 4 toasts. Then bake as instructed in the recipe.