Friday, September 4, 2009

A Santa Maria Strawberry Salmon

This somewhat rough around the edges, but hopefully entertaining video recipe was shot at the Historic Santa Maria Inn on our recent culinary field trip to the central coast.

This stars Chef Alex Araizaga making a very unique almond-crusted salmon recipe featuring a sauce using the area's famous strawberries.

As you'll see, I don’t have the proper A/V gear to do a great remote video, but I wanted to film the chef making one of his signature dishes, and I'm glad I did. It was surprisingly good -- I don't mean that is an insulting way, as if I didn’t expect him to do a good job, it's just I have never been a fan of fruit sauces with seafood, and would have never expected to enjoy a salmon filet on a strawberry sauce, but I did! It really was enjoyable.

I've posted a home cook-friendly version on my American Foods site on About.com, so you can check that out for the ingredients and procedure, which I tweaked ever so slightly from the one you see here.

Thanks to Chef Alex for a great demo (and breakfast afterward!), and also thanks to the Santa Maria Inn for letting me shoot in their busy kitchen. Enjoy!



For a written version of the Almond-Crusted Salmon with Strawberry Sauce recipe, please click here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting recipe. I love strawberries, and I love salmon, so why not combine them? I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Luatica said...

How was it? Was it fruity, tangy and fresh or more tasting like jam?

Chef John said...

i liked it because it was tangy, and jammy!

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Wow this looks like an amazing dish! Very classy and pleasing to the eye ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe, well, thank you for ALL your recipes (I've been stalking your site for ages, and have cooked at least 20 odd dishes!).

However, my girl is a vegetarian, which makes things difficult (she eats fish though). Can you think of a vegetarian substitute for demi-glaze?

Chef John said...

no such thing. i would just leave out

Sullivanspapa said...

Dear CJ
My Food Wish is for you to remake this video and provide a recipe. I want to try this but am a tad "unsure" of myself in the kitchen and wear suspenders and a belt!
Please HELP!

Unknown said...

The recipe is gone!! It's the dreaded 404 message. Any way you could repost it, Chef John?